Thursday, November 20, 2008

Downtime

Psalm 46:10 "Be still and know that I am God."

Hm...this has begun to be a habit - doing this instead of paying attention for class stuff. Ok - so this is just lab and we are currently waiting for the gel to run so we can analyze the proteins in the plasma membrane of sheep blood cells - fascinating isn't it? Yeah - that's what I thought.

What I was really getting at is that I enjoy the fact that this time with You is how I've chosen to spend my downtime, no matter where it may be. I cried out for You to fill me with the desire to know You more and if this isn't the manifestation of that then I don't know what is.

People all around me are consumed with school work and weekend plans, and while I know all of these things are issues - I'm so thankful that You can take those and other worries away from me so that I can come to You and enjoy this downtime together. It's something everybody struggles with - finding the time amongst our many daily activities to  to devote to You. I remember contemplating this over the summer and I've again started to recognize how completely unproductive I've been with my time, but it wasn't until Tuesday night when Noelle came to talk to me about the retreat this weekend that I was really convicted of this. I brought up the activity we did this summer where we wrote down a list of things that kept us from coming to You and placed post-its over them with practical ways to approach these issues. Looking back at things I had written down and seeing how little progress I had made in some of those areas - it'll get you. Don't get me wrong - I've grown in numerous ways since this summer - many were ways I didn't even know I needed to grow - kudos for that God - by the way. But Tuesday night, I just realized how little I've been doing to change myself for You. Not that i can do a lot on my own, but when I ignore the time You give me I'm not giving you a whole lot to work with. Luckily for me - You are so much greater than I could ever imagine or anticipate and You continue to amaze me with the things You're able to do. That's why times like Sunday night are so incredible. I give you almost nothing and You turn around and bless me beyond my wildest imagination.

I guess what I'm really getting at is that I'm so incredibly grateful for Your ability to exceed expectations instead of falling short, to impress instead of let down, to provide, protect, and comfort instead of abandon. I thank You for taking the little downtime I've given to You and allowing it to be so much more productive and rewarding that I could have ever anticipated. This time has driven me closer to You and has not only quenched my desire, but made it deeper. So now, whether it's downtime in lab, between classes, in the morning, or before I go to bed I want to devote it to You. Continue to teach me what this means and show me how I can be using my time to glorify You.

1 Peter 4:7 'The end of all things is near. Therefore be clear minded and self-controlled so that you can pray."

Everyday is a journal page
Every man holds a quill and ink
And there's plenty of room for writing in
All we do and believe and think
So will you compose a curse
Or will today bring the blessings
Fill the page with rhyming verse
Or some random sketchings

Teach us to count the days
Teach us to make the days count
Lead us in better ways
Somehow our souls forgot
Life means so much

Everyday is a bank account
And time is our currency
So no one's rich, nobody's poor
We get twenty-four hours each
So how are you gonna spend
Will you invest or squander
Try to get ahead
Or help someone who's under

Teach us to count the days
Teach us to make the days count
Lead us in better ways
Somehow our souls forgot
Life means so much

Has anybody lived who knew the value of a life?
And don't you think giving his own
Would prove the worth of yours and mine?

Teach us to count the days
Teach us to make the days count
Somehow our souls forgot
Life means so much

"Life Means So Much"
Chris Rice

No comments: