Friday, November 14, 2008

Surprise!

Ok, so tonight's not "surprise night" but today has most definitely been a good day, full of...yup, you guessed it...surprises. My first surprise came at approximately 10:02 this morning when my professor walked into the room and told us the test we'd been studying for was going to be take home and the instructions were posted on blackboard. So, instead of taking the test we got to watch a bunch of clips from movies that took place in Venice. That was nice. I was literally singing on my way back to the dorm. Needless to say, I didn't feel quite as prepared for that test as I would have liked. You might be thinking to yourself "how exciting for you" but wait...it gets better. The instructions for this test are to take it in 40 minutes, pledge it, and then...wait for it...use our book and notes to make corrections. And then...as long as we correct our mistakes, there won't be any points taken off. SURPRISE!

Next surprise. I have a bio test on Monday and we spent the ENTIRE class period today reviewing. It was marvelous! First time all semester she's done that! SURPRISE!

Those were probably the biggest surprises but I guess the big ones just really tuned me into the smaller ones today. A random text from Leslie, randomly running into people on campus, a trip to Caribou with friends to have a nice productive Friday night. These are things, the little surprises, that I should be thankful for everyday, but I'm usually too caught up in other things to appreciate them. 

So, tonight, instead of worrying about this upcoming bio test and all the studying that is going to undoubtedly surround it, I want to just take in all the little surprises that You have graced me with. Last Sunday the sermon was about the 10 healed of leprosy from Luke 17:11-19. Apparently this is the only Gospel that tells this story, but it's a good one. Not fully understanding who Jesus was, these 10 men cried out for help and they were healed. Not instantaneously, but when they turned around and started towards the priests as they had been told. But once they saw they were healed, only one man turned back to actually thank Jesus. This man didn't send a thank you card or politely shake his hand while thanking him. This man ran back to Jesus, singing songs of praise in a loud voice and threw himself at the feet of Jesus to thank him. 

That is who I want to be tonight. I don't want to be concerned with continuing on towards the priests, playing the role I think I ought to play. I want to be willing to notice all the things You do for me and come running back to Your feet. This is for friends at school to spend time with, for friends from home to encourage and comfort, for time I don't deserve and everything else this day has been. But most importantly, this is for being You. For being the One thing that will always remain Constant, Faithful and True. 

No comments: