Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Life Chats

While it is now late Monday evening/early Tuesday morning, I feel that it is necessary to take a closer look at this past weekend. As previously mentioned, Friday was a good day and that spilled over into Saturday via a movie night with the girls. My day of work was interrupted numerous times by many welcomed distractions including lunch with Sades later to be joined by Joe, chats with Beth, and the wonderful combination of a keyboard and hymnal. Oh yeah...did I mention the spontaneous walk to Giant via the McDonald's drive-through to buy nail polish? Somewhere between working at the BCM and ending up at Giant at 9:30 on a Saturday night for nail polish Mary Beth was called and ended up picking us up and returning us to the Willard parking lot where we remained for a good hour just loving life with one of the big sis(s?)es (couldn't for the life of me figure out how to make the plural of 'sis' look right...) "Life Chat" suggestions were quickly thwarted by enthusiastic friends and caffeinated mints. Despite the lack of serious time, the fellowship was enjoyed by all (as far as I know...there may be some speculation as to MB's opinion on this...) and I know that there was a reason this chat was put on hold - but more on that later. For now, I need to rest and prepare for a day spent with high school students...I will resume this later. Have no fear!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(I wrote this during Practicum...don't worry, MOST of it was done over lunch, only a little in class...and felt that it needed to be added here)

So here I am, sitting in another honors bio class - it's the second bio class, third science class, I've sat in today and I still have one more to go. And...I just realized this lady and I have the same sweater on...creepy. I should be observing the class and I'll be honest - I kind of want to be paying attention to this lecture on tRNA. I just took a test on this stuff and as much as I'd like to think about, I'd rather spend a bit of time reflecting on what kept me from sleeping before that aforementioned test. I started this last night, but then realized that I needed sleep in order to function today, because it's going to be a long one. But, I told you not to fear - I have returned. If I remember correctly I left off on Saturday night after our excursion to Giant. As Noelle so aptly stated that night, we shared many a life chat because we were chatting and living...Yes Noelle...but it was more just a night of enjoying each other's company. Anyway...we finally allowed MB to return to her APT and made our way to Willard 112 where we watched the night quickly turn into morning.

Sunday began with the ever eventful ride to Falmouth. Church was really good as per usual (Fight just broke out in the hallway - oh the joys of high school) I don't think I really realized how much I missed the more traditional service with hymns and good preaching. Don't get me wrong - I enjoyed my time at Fairview but I just needed something different. Brunch followed church and then it was back to work...aka attempting to learn about photosynthesis and geeking out about protein synthesis. Dinner with Sadie and Noelle, Praise and Worship, and a stressful meeting regarding the upcoming lock-in all provided very welcome breaks to the studying process.

It was in finishing up the studying process and saving a sample exam that God found a way to squeeze into my busy planned out day and show me what His Goodness is all about. In going through my intense filing system to save the exam I ran into a document where I'd saved a conversation Sam and I had last Monday night. For some reason, I listened to the little prompting in my head, opened up the document, read through it and shared it with the only other person at the BCM. "It's 1 in the morning, this shouldn't take too long, I'll just have Sadie read it and we'll chat on our way back to the dorm." That was the thought process going through my head. I can't take any credit for what that turned into - that was all God. Sadie read the conversation and slowly the bags were set down and we settled on top of the table and stayed there for three and a half hours. It was marvelous. Nothing else mattered at that point - God had ensured that by waiting until we were packed up and in a place with no comfy couches, clocks or any other distractions. It was just two friends sharing a legit Life Chat in the presence of their Prince.

This semester I've found myself torn between the BCM and my friends I live with. I don't know, the line has just seemed so much more defined this year and I've struggled to find the balance between the two. Obviously that has not worked out too well as I find myself missing the company of my closest friends. Sunday night was only the beginning. It was wonderful and blessed, but it can't stop there. While they don't happen often, I feel that conversations lasting until 4:20 in the morning are, in many ways, easier than our day to day conversations. My prayer coming out of this is that we find a way to make this last past the early morning hours. The cards have been laid out and there's a much deeper understanding that we can take into our future interactions. It's all rooted in prayer and there's now a better understanding of what we each need and where we're struggling and growing. Know that this time together is going to follow me and I love that I know better how to lift you up in prayer and what to praise God for on your behalf.

Hebrews 10:24-25 "And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another - and all the more as you see the Day approaching."

Ecclesiastes 4:9-12 "Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! Also, if two lie down together they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone?
Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three stands is not quickly broken."

No comments: